This section describes how to launch and connect to Ethrereum Full Node in Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Open Ethereum Full Node VM listing on AWS marketplace
- Click on Continue to subscribe.
- Login with your credentials and follow the instruction.click on Continue to configuration
- Select a Region where you want to launch the VM(such as US East (N.Virginia))
- Choose Action: You can launch it through EC2 or from Website.(Let's choose Launch from website)
- Optionally change the EC2 instance type. (This defaults to t2.large instance type, 2 vCPUs and 8 GB RAM.)
- Optionally change the network name and subnetwork names.
- Select the Security Group. Be sure that whichever Security Group you specify have ports 22 (for ssh) and 3389 (for RDP) exposed.
- Be sure to download the key-pair which is available by default, or you can create the new key-pair and download it.
- Click on Launch..
Ethereum Full Node will begin deploying.
- A summary page displays.To see this instance on EC2 Console click on EC2 Console link.
- On the EC2 Console page, instance is up and running. To connect to this instance through putty, copy the IPv4 Public IP Address
- Open putty, paste the IP address and browse your private key you downloaded while deploying the VM, by going to SSH->Auth , click on Open. Enter ubuntu as userid
- Once connected, change the password for ubuntu user using below command
sudo passwd ubuntu
- Now the password for ubuntu user is set, you can connect to the VM's desktop environment from any local Windows Machine using RDP protocol or Linux Machine using Remmina.
From your local windows machine, goto "start" menu , in the search box type and select "Remote desktop connection".
In the "Remote Desktop connection" wizard, copy the public IP address and click connect
- This will connect you to the VM's desktop environment. Provide the username (e.g "ubuntu") and the password set in the above "Reset password" step to authenticate. Click OK
- Now you are connected to the out of box Ethereum Full Node environment via Windows Machine.
- To connect using RDP via Linux machine, first note the external IP of the VM from VM details page,then from your local Linux machine, goto menu , in the search box type and select "Remmina".
Note: If you don't have Remmina installed on your Linux machine, first Install Remmina as per your linux distribution.
- In the "Remmina Remote Desktop Client" wizard, select the RDP option from dropdown and paste the external ip and click enter.
- This will connect you to the VM's desktop environment. Provide "ubuntu" as the userid and the password set in above reset password step to authenticate. Click OK
- Now you are connected to out of box Ethereum Full Node environment via Linux machine.
- Ethereum Full Node directories:
Ethereum home directory location is /home/ubuntu/ethereum
Data directory location is /home/ubuntu/ethereum/datadir
- Monitoring and managing node sync process :
The VM automatically starts the sync process on startup. To verify if the sync is in progress, run below commands
ps -ef|grep geth
If sync is in progress , you will see the below highlighted process running
You can also verify the sync process by monitoring the sync log as shown below
tail -f /var/log/cloud-init-output.log
To stop the sync process, simply run below command :
sudo killall -HUP geth
To restart the sync process, run below command .
Note: Make sure below command is executed from terminal inside Remote desktop GUI to avoid process termination
sudo nohup geth --http --http.addr "0.0.0.0" --http.port "8545" --http.corsdomain "*" --config /home/ubuntu/ethereum/eth_config.toml >> /var/log/cloud-init-output.log 2>&1 &
- Tracking sync progress
You can track the sync progress by attaching to the running geth console and running the monitoring script as shown below . Note that if the progress is shown 99% then the node is mostly synced:
sudo geth attach --datadir /home/ubuntu/ethereum/datadir/
this will connect to the console, then run
- Accessing Metamask Ethereum wallet
The VM comes with Metamask the most popular Ethereum wallet , preinstalled in Firefox browser.
Connect to the VM via Remote desktop , open the Firefox Browser and you will see metamask plugin in the browser
- Click on the Metamask icon, complete the configuration by following the instructions.
Once the Metamask is configured, you wil see Metamask is running on Ethereum Mainnet Network.
- If you want to connect Metamask on localhost, Please add port 8545 to the Security Group of your VM. Follow below steps to open port 8545:
- On your VM's detail page, navigate to Security tab and click on Security Group as shown below:
- It will open security groups detail page. Click on Edit inbound rules
- click on Add Rule-
- Select Custom TCP from Type dropdown, enter 8545 under port range and other info as shown below. Save the changes.-
- Now select localhost 8545 from Metamask Network dropdown. You should be able to connect to localhost as shown:
- If you don't see localhost and other testnetwork options under network dropdown, please click on show/hide link as shown below-
- It will take you to setting menu. Here you enable show test network option and save the changes.
- Close the setting page and reopen network dropdown. Now you should be able to see all the networks.