How to get Python Django Flask Developer Suit on Azure
This section describes how to launch and connect to Python Django Flask Developer Suit in Azure.
- Open Python Django and Flask Developer Suit VM listing on Azure Marketplace
- Click on Get It Now
- Select a Resource group for your virtual machine
- Select a Region where you want to launch the VM(such as East US)
- Note: If you see “This image is not compatible with selected security type. To keep trusted launch virtual machines, select a compatible image. Otherwise change your security type back to Standard” error message below the Image name as shown in the screenshot below then please change the Security type to Standard.
- Optionally change the number of cores and amount of memory.
Select the Authentication type as Password and enter Username as ubuntu and Password of your choice for the VM
- Optionally change the OS disk type.
- Optionally change the network and subnetwork names.Be sure that whichever network you specify have ports 22 (for SSH), 3389 (for RDP), 80 (for HTTP) and 443 (for HTTPS) exposed.
- Optionally go to the Management, Advanced and Tags tabs for any advance settings you want for the VM.
- Note: If you want to provide password for VSCode, add following Name and Value in tags tab. This will be login password for accessing VS code in browser
Name: **vscode-password** Value: **your password here**
- **Note: If you don’t set the metadata with the above mentioned keys, a default random password will be generated. The password is stored in the file /home/ubuntu/vscode_pass.txt for your reference **
- Click on Review + create and then click on Create when you are done.
Virtual Machine will begin deploying.
- A summary page displays when the virtual machine is successfully created. Click on Go to resource link. It will open an overview page of virtual machine.
- In the left navigation pane, select Run command, select RunShellScript and enter following command to change the password of the vm .
sudo echo ubuntu:yourpassword | chpasswd
Now the password for ubuntu user is set, you can connect to the VM’s desktop environment from any local windows machine using RDP protocol or local linux machine using Remmina.
To connect using RDP via Windows Machine, first note the public IP address of the VM from VM details page as highlighted below
- Then From you local windows machine, goto “start” menu, in the search box type and select “Remote desktop connection”.
In the “Remote Desktop connection” wizard, copy the public IP address and click connect
- This will connect you to the VM’s desktop environment. Provide the username (e.g “ubuntu”) and the password set in the above “Reset password” step to authenticate. Click OK
- Now you are connected to out of box Python Django and Flask Developer environment via Windows Machine.
- To connect using RDP via Linux machine, first note the external IP of the VM from VM details page,then from your local Linux machine, goto menu, in the search box type and select “Remmina”.
Note: If you don’t have Remmina installed on your Linux machine, first Install Remmina as per your linux distribution.
11. In the “Remmina Remote Desktop Client” wizard, select the RDP option from dropdown and paste the external ip and click enter.
12. This will connect you to the VM’s desktop environment. Provide “ubuntu” as the userid and the password set in “reset password” step to authenticate. Click OK
13. Now you are connected to the out of box Python Django and Flask Developement environment via Linux machine.
- Once the vm is up and running, you can access Visual Studio Code by going to https://VM_Public_IP.
- Make sure you type https and not http. You will see certificate warning, accept the warning to proceed for login
15. Provide the same password you provided in tags tab of step 2. If you have not provided password, you can find the randomly generated password by running below command in terminal
Note down auto-generated password.
Note: If the password is empty in the file, wait for 2 minutes and check again.
Note: If you happen to see a blank screen in the browser after login or page load error, wait for 1-2 minutes and open again in new browser window to see VSCode load.
16. If you prefer, after login, you can remove the password references from VM by deleting the password file (/home/ubuntu/vscode_pass.txt) and removing the metadata as below: