How to get Metabase Data Visualization & BI Platform on AWS
This section describes how to launch and connect to Metabase Data Visualization & BI Platform in Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Open Metabase Data Visualization & BI Platform VM listing on AWS marketplace
- Click on Continue to subscribe.
- Login with your credentials and follow the instruction.
- Note: After login, it will take you to the default annual contract page. If you do not want to provision the solution with annual contract then please skip this page by not selecting any values from the dropdown menus as shown below.
- Make sure the Total contract price is $0 and then Click on Continue to configuration button on top right corner.
- Next page will show you the details about hourly, monthly and annual pricing. If you don’t configure the annual contract, the instance get provisioned on hourly basis.
- Select a Region where you want to launch the VM(such as US East (N.Virginia))
- Optionally change the EC2 instance type. (This defaults to t2.medium instance type, 2 vCPUs and 4 GB RAM.)
- Optionally change the network name and subnetwork names.
Select the Security Group. Be sure that whichever Security Group you specify have ports 22 (for ssh), 3389 (for RDP) and 80 (for HTTP) exposed.
Be sure to download the key-pair which is available by default, or you can create the new key-pair and download it.
Click on Launch..
Metabase Data Visualization & BI Platform will begin deploying.
- A summary page displays.To see this instance on EC2 Console click on EC2 Console link.
- On the EC2 Console page, instance is up and running. To connect to this instance through putty, copy the IPv4 Public IP Address
- Open putty, paste the IP address and browse your private key you downloaded while deploying the VM, by going to **SSH- >Auth **, click on Open. Enter ubuntu as userid
- Once connected, change the password for ubuntu user using below command
- Now the password for ubuntu user is set, you can connect to the VM’s desktop environment from any local Windows Machine using RDP protocol or Linux Machine using Remmina.
From your local windows machine, goto “start” menu, in the search box type and select “Remote desktop connection”. In the “Remote Desktop connection” wizard, copy the public IP address and click connect
- This will connect you to the VM’s desktop environment. Provide the username (e.g “ubuntu”) and the password set in the above “Reset password” step to authenticate. Click OK
- Now you are connected to the out of box Metabase Data Visualization & BI Platform environment via Windows Machine.
- To connect using RDP via Linux machine, first note the external IP of the VM from VM details page,then from your local Linux machine, goto menu, in the search box type and select “Remmina”.
Note: If you don’t have Remmina installed on your Linux machine, firstInstall Remmina as per your linux distribution.
11. In the “Remmina Remote Desktop Client” wizard, select the RDP option from dropdown and paste the external ip and click enter.
12. This will connect you to the VM’s desktop environment. Provide “ubuntu” as the userid and the password set in above reset password step to authenticate. Click OK
13. Now you are connected to out of box Metabase Data Visualization & BI Platform environment via Linux machine.
- Once the vm is up and running, you can access Metabase setup page by going to http://VM_Public_IP.
Click on Let’s get started.
Configure admin user here
Add your data here
Complete other steps and click on Take me to metabase
- Now you are logged-In as admin.
- You can add more users by going to Settings and People tab as shown below.
- Metabase Directories:
Metabase folder structure is /home/ubuntu/metabase. The folder/file permissions and ownership should not be changed via chmod or chown commands.
- metabase-data folder: Home folder for Metabase application
- postgres-data folder: Home folder for Postgresql database files