How to get Jupyter Python Notebook on AWS
This section describes how to launch and connect to Jupyter Python Notebook in Amazon Web Services (AWS).
You can use the remote desktop you connected in above step for using the VM, however, more convenient and better method is to use the Jupyter/Ipython notebook which comes with the VM .
- Open Jupyter Python Notebook VM listing on AWS marketplace
- Click on Continue to subscribe.
- Login with your credentials and follow the instruction.click on Continue to configuration
- Select a Region where you want to launch the VM(such as US East (N.Virginia))
- Choose Action: You can launch it through EC2 or from Website.(Let's choose Launch from website)
- Optionally change the EC2 instance type. (This defaults to t2.large instance type, 2 vCPUs and 8 GB RAM.)
- Optionally change the network name and subnetwork names.
- Select the Security Group. Be sure that whichever Security Group you specify have ports 22 (for ssh) , 3389 (for RDP) and 80 (for HTTP) exposed.
- Be sure to download the key-pair which is available by default, or you can create the new key-pair and download it.
- Click on Launch..
Jupyter Python Notebook will begin deploying.
- A summary page displays.To see this instance on EC2 Console click on EC2 Console link.
- On the EC2 Console page, instance is up and running. To connect to this instance through putty, copy the IPv4 Public IP Address
- Open putty, paste the IP address and browse your private key you downloaded while deploying the VM, by going to SSH->Auth , click on Open. Enter ubuntu as userid
- Once connected, change the password for ubuntu user using below command
sudo passwd ubuntu
- Now the password for ubuntu user is set, you can connect to the VM's desktop environment from any local Windows Machine using RDP protocol or Linux Machine using Remmina.
From your local windows machine, goto "start" menu , in the search box type and select "Remote desktop connection".
In the "Remote Desktop connection" wizard, copy the public IP address and click connect
- This will connect you to the VM's desktop environment. Provide the username (e.g "ubuntu") and the password set in the above "Reset password" step to authenticate. Click OK
- Now you are connected to the out of box Jupyter Python Notebook environment via Windows Machine.
- To connect using RDP via Linux machine, first note the external IP of the VM from VM details page,then from your local Linux machine, goto menu , in the search box type and select "Remmina".
Note: If you don't have Remmina installed on your Linux machine, first Install Remmina as per your linux distribution.
- In the "Remmina Remote Desktop Client" wizard, select the RDP option from dropdown and paste the external ip and click enter.
- This will connect you to the VM's desktop environment. Provide "ubuntu" as the userid and the password set in above reset password step to authenticate. Click OK
- Now you are connected to out of box Jupyter Python Notebook environment via Linux machine.
The Notebook is available on the same public IP you used for remote desktop and accessible via any browser. Just open the browser and type the public IP address and you will get below screen for login . Use “ubuntu” as username and the password you set to login.
Note : Make sure you use “http” and not “https” in the url