- Open Kali GUI Linux VM listing on Azure Marketplace
- Click on Get It Now
- Select a Resource group for your virtual machine
- Select a Region where you want to launch the VM(such as East US)
- Optionally change the number of cores and amount of memory.
- Select the Authentication type as Password and enter Username as ubuntu and Password of your choice.
- Optionally change the OS disk type.
- Optionally change the network and subnetwork names.Be sure that whichever network you specify has "ports 22 (for ssh) and 5900 (for VNC)" exposed.
- Optionally go to the Management, Advanced and Tags tabs for any advance settings you want for the VM.
- Click on Review + create and then click on Create when you are done.
Virtual Machine will begin deploying.
- A summary page displays when the virtual machine is successfully created. Click on Go to resource link to go to the resource page.
It will open an overview page of virtual machine.
- In the left navigation pane, select Run command , select RunShellScript and enter following command to change the password of the vm .
sudo echo ubuntu:yourpassword | chpasswd
- Now the password for ubuntu user is set, you can SSH to the VM -
- Open putty, paste the IP address and click on Open.
- login as ubuntu and provide the password for 'ubuntu' user
- You can connect to the VM's desktop environment from any local windows machine using VNC protocol or local linux machine using Remmina.
- To connect using VNC Client via Windows Machine, first note the public IP address of the VM from VM details page as highlighted below
- Then From your local windows machine, goto "start" menu , in the search box type and select "VNC"
Note:: If you don't have VNC installed on your Windows machine, first Install VNC Viewer as per your device.
- In the "VNC Viewer" wizard, copy the external ip and click connect.Accept the encryption warning.
- Now you are connected to out of box Kali GUI Linux environment via Windows Machine with root user.
- To connect using Remmina via Linux machine, first note the external IP of the VM from VM details page,then from your local Linux machine, goto menu , in the search box type and select "Remmina".
Note:: If you don't have Remmina installed on your Linux machine, first Install Remmina as per your linux distribution.
- In the "Remmina Remote Desktop Client" wizard, select the VNC option from dropdown and paste the external ip and click enter
- Now you are connected to out of box Kali GUI Linux environment via Linux Machine.
- After your first login, Open terminal and run below command to change the root user password.
- Once passwd for root user is set, re-login with root user and new password. -
- Now your are connected to out of box Kali GUI Linux environment which comes with preinstalled kali programs.