How to get CentOS GUI Linux on AWS
This section describes how to launch and connect to CentOS GUI Linux in Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Open CentOS GUI Linux VM listing on AWS marketplace
- Click on Continue to subscribe.
A summary page displays.To see this instance on EC2 Console click on EC2 Console link.
On the EC2 Console page, instance is up and running. To connect to this instance through putty, copy the IPv4 Public IP Address
Open putty, paste the IP address and browse your private key you downloaded while deploying the VM, by going to SSH->Auth , click on Open.
login as centos. Now you are connected as centos user
Change the password for centos user by running-
- Login with your credentials and follow the instruction.click on Continue to configuration
- Select a Region where you want to launch the VM(such as US East (N.Virginia))
- Choose Action: You can launch it through EC2 or from Website.(Let's choose Launch from website)
- Optionally change the EC2 instance type. (This defaults to t2.medium instance type, 2 vCPUs and 4 GB RAM)
- Optionally change the network name and subnetwork names.
- Select the Security Group. Be sure that whichever Security Group you specify have ports 22 (for ssh) and 3389 (for RDP) exposed.
- Be sure to download the key-pair which is available by default, or you can create the new key-pair and download it.
- Click on Launch..
CentOS GUI Linux will begin deploying.
sudo passwd centos
Now passwd is set for centos user , you can connect to the VM's desktop environment from any local Windows Machine using RDP protocol or Linux Machine using Remmina.
From your local windows machine, goto "start" menu , in the search box type and select "Remote desktop connection".
In the "Remote Desktop connection" wizard, copy the public IP address and click connect
This will connect you to the VM's desktop environment.Click yes on certificate warning. Provide username as centos and password set in the above step to authenticate. Click OK
Now you are connected to the out of box CentOS GUI Linux environment via Windows Machine.
To connect using RDP via Linux machine, first note the external IP of the VM from VM details page,then from your local Linux machine, goto menu , in the search box type and select "Remmina".
Note: If you don't have Remmina installed on your Linux machine, first Install Remmina as per your linux distribution.
In the "Remmina Remote Desktop Client" wizard, select the RDP option from dropdown and paste the external ip and click enter.
This will connect you to the VM's desktop environment.Accept the certificate warning and provide username as centos and password set in above step to authenticate. Click OK
Now you are connected to out of box CentOS GUI Linux environment via Linux machine.
Run below command to create new user
sudo adduser username
Once user is added, set the password of that user by running-
sudo passwd username
Now add newly created user to the wheel group to give the sudo access by running below command-
sudo usermod -aG wheel username
Now new user setup is completed. You can use this user to connect to the Centos GUI Dekstop environment.
Now you are connected to out of box Centos GUI Dekstop environment with new user.
Right Click on Desktop icons and select Allow Launching