How to get Ansible AWX on AWS
This section describes how to launch and connect to Ansible AWX in Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Open Ansible AWX (Opensource Ansible Tower alternative) VM listing on AWS marketplace
- Click on Continue to subscribe.
- Login with your credentials and follow the instruction.click on Continue to configuration
- Select a Region where you want to launch the VM(such as US East (N.Virginia))
- Choose Action:you can launch it through EC2 or from Website.(Let's choose Launch from website)
- Optionally change the EC2 instance type. (This defaults to t2.medium instance type, 2 vCPUs and 4 GB RAM.)
- Optionally change the network name and subnetwork names.
- Select the Security Group.Be sure that whichever Security Group you specify have ports 22 (for ssh) , 3389 (for RDP) and 80 (for HTTP) exposed.
- Be sure to download the key-pair which is available by default, or you can create the new key-pair and download it.
- Click on Launch..
Ansible AWX (Opensource Ansible Tower alternative) will begin deploying.
- A summary page displays.To see this instance on EC2 Console click on EC2 Console link.
- On the EC2 Console page, instance is up and running. To connect to this instance through putty, copy the IPv4 Public IP Address
- Open putty, paste the IP address and browse your private key you downloaded while deploying the VM, by going to SSH->Auth , click on Open. Enter ubuntu as userid
- Once connected, change the password for ubuntu user using sudo passwd ubuntu command
- Now the password for ubuntu user is set, you can connect to the VM's desktop environment from any local windows machine using RDP protocol.
From your local windows machine, goto "start" menu , in the search box type and select "Remote desktop connection".
In the "Remote Desktop connection" wizard, copy the public IP address and click connect
- This will connect you to the VM's desktop environment. Provide the username (e.g "ubuntu") and the password set in the above "Reset password" step to authenticate. Click OK
- Now you are connected to the out of box Ansible AWX (Opensource Ansible Tower alternative) environment.
- For connecting via Web Interface, SSH to the VM as shown in Step 5 and run below command-
Note down username and auto-generated password.
Note: If the password is empty in the file, wait for 2 minutes and check again.
- Login to the web interface by opening the url http://your-external-ip in your browser
- Use above default username & auto-generated password
- You must change the default id and password as security measures by going to admin profile page and entering new userid and password
- To change the userid and password,In left pane click on Users as shown below.
- Click on admin user and enter the new values here and save the changes.