You can use the remote desktop you connected in above step for using the VM, however, more convenient and better method is to use the Jupyter/Ipython notebook which comes with the VM .
- Open R Developer Suit VM listing on AWS marketplace
- Click on Continue to subscribe.
- Login with your credentials and follow the instruction.click on Continue to configuration
- Select a Region where you want to launch the VM(such as US East (N.Virginia))
- Choose Action:you can launch it through EC2 or from Website.(Let's choose Launch from website)
- Optionally change the EC2 instance type. (This defaults to t2.medium instance type, 2 vCPUs and 4 GB RAM.)
- Optionally change the network name and subnetwork names.
- Select the Security Group.Be sure that whichever Security Group you specify have ports 22 (for ssh) , 3389 (for RDP) and 80 (for HTTP) exposed.
- Be sure to download the key-pair which is available by default, or you can create the new key-pair and download it.
- Click on Launch..
R Developer Suit will begin deploying.
- A summary page displays.To see this instance on EC2 Console click on EC2 Console link.
- On the EC2 Console page, instance is up and running. To connect to this instance through putty, copy the IPv4 Public IP Address
- Open putty, paste the IP address and browse your private key you downloaded while deploying the VM, by going to SSH->Auth , click on Open. Enter ubuntu as userid
- Once connected, change the password for ubuntu user using sudo passwd ubuntu command
- Now the password for ubuntu user is set, you can connect to the VM's desktop environment from any local windows machine using RDP protocol.
From your local windows machine, goto "start" menu , in the search box type and select "Remote desktop connection".
In the "Remote Desktop connection" wizard, copy the public IP address and click connect
- This will connect you to the VM's desktop environment. Provide the username (e.g "ubuntu") and the password set in the above "Reset password" step to authenticate. Click OK
- Now you are connected to the out of box R Developer Suit environment.
The Notebook is available on the same public IP you used for remote desktop and accessible via any browser. Just open the browser and type the public IP address and you will get below screen for login . Use “ubuntu” as username and the password you set to login.
Note : Make sure you use “http” and not “https” in the url.
For more info please check R Developement Using Jupyter